On the Passover seder plate, haroset symbolizes the mortar used by slaves in Egypt. This is a Moroccan variation on the recipe.
- 1 cup (125 g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ground cloves ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb (500 g) dates, pitted and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sweet red Passover wine
Put the dates into a pan with the wine, cinnamon, and cloves and simmer, stirring occasionally, until you have a soft paste. Put through the food processor if you want a smoother texture. Let it cool and stir in the walnuts.
Did you like this article? MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.