On the Passover seder plate, haroset symbolizes the mortar used by slaves in Egypt. These are the classic Eastern European ingredients. Only the proportions vary.
From The Book of Jewish Food, published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. Reprinted with permission.
- 2 medium-sized tart apples
- 1/2 cup (50 g) walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sweet red wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey, or to taste
Peel, core, and finely chop or grate the apples. Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
Did you like this article? MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.