- Yield: at least 12
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 12 hours, 0 minutes
- Total: 12 hours, 25 minutes
- 1/2 lb cannelini beans, soaked overnight
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 spring rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 lbs brisket, cubed
- 1 package Matzo ball mix, made per package directions (optional)
- 1 lb Swiss chard, chopped
Put brisket, onion, potatoes, rosemary, garlic, beans and salt in a large crock pot.
Cover with water and top with matzo balls. Turn on low and cook for about 18 hours.
Saute chard with a little water until wilted, set aside and mix in just before serving. On Shabbat this can be done by spooning the cholent into a bowl and mixing in the chard.
Did you like this article? MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.