This cream cheese is the star of the Amar’e bagel (named for basketball player Amar’e Stoudemire) at Call Your Mother deli in Washington D.C. The salmon-flecked cream cheese is slathered onto a za’atar, wood-fired bagel stuffed with crispy shallots and pea shoot salad — not your bubbe’s bagel! It’s a decadent, modern take on traditional flavors and would make a great addition to any brunch table.
Read more about Call Your Mother deli and chef Daniela Moreira here.
- 4 oz cream cheese (your favorite brand)
- 1 piece (6-8oz) salmon fillet, skin on (center cut)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Cut salmon into strips about 1” wide. Pat dry, season with salt.
- In a medium pot, combine honey, olive oil, and dark brown sugar. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Let the sugar mixture cool completely then cover the salmon strips with the mixture. Place salmon on a wire rack (skin side down) and refrigerate for 2 hours, uncovered.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Cook salmon for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- For the salmon cream cheese, shred the cool salmon into small pieces. Add cream cheese and mix together until completely combined.