Thinking about converting to Judaism, but don’t know how to proceed?
First, you should read our overview article about the basics of converting to Judaism. In particular, be aware that different streams of Judaism have different requirements and standards, and that communal norms vary from country to country. So if it’s important to you that your conversion be recognized in a specific place, such as Israel or the United Kingdom, or in a particular community, you will want to ensure that your conversion process follows its standards. You may also want to do some research to ensure that the rabbi or institution with whom you are working is widely respected and that his or her conversions are widely recognized.
Regardless of which type of conversion they ultimately undergo, most prospective Jews by choice get started by enrolling in Introduction to Judaism or Judaism 101 classes, which are frequently offered at synagogues, Jewish community centers and other Jewish institutions.
For assistance finding such classes near where you live, you may want to:
- Contact your local Jewish federation or Jewish community center.
- Review the Reform movement’s list of upcoming Introduction to Judaism courses here. The movement also offers an online version of this class.
- Check out the Conservative movement’s list of upcoming conversion classes here.
- Contact a local Orthodox congregation or rabbi and ask which class they recommend for prospective converts. Click here for your nearest Orthodox Union -affiliated synagogue To find your nearest Chabad-Lubavitch congregation, click here.
- If you are in Israel, click here for more information about the conversion process there.
- For information about non-Orthodox conversions in Europe visit the World Union for Progressive Judaism site.
- It is also possible now to take classes online — and even go through the entire conversion process online. However, many communities, particularly in Europe, do not recognize online conversions.
If you know of other class directories not listed here, leave information in the comments or email email@example.com.