The Canteen is a tribute to all things Jewish sleepaway camp. Hosted by the Foundation for Jewish Camp (FJC), this blog is written by campers, alumni, parents, and camp professionals and is a place to talk about parenting, camp fun, projects, crafts, recipes, and more – all tied back to Jewish holidays, traditions and, of course, camp!
When the weather is cold and damp, the camp season seems incredibly far away. That’s why Hanukkah is the perfect time for summer camp inspired gifts.
1. For your camper whose favorite activity is Arts & Crafts
Branch and Twig Colored Pencils ($3.99 on Amazon)
2. For your camper who always masters the challenge course
Custom Camp Map Puzzle ($17.99 from Create Jigsaw Puzzles)
3. For your camper who LOVES song session
A Ukulele Starter Pack ($39.99 from Guitar Center)
4. For your camper who can’t get enough s’mores
S’mores maker ($14.00 on Amazon)
5. For your tech savvy camper
6. For your camper who comes home with even their socks tie dyed
Tie Dyed duvet cover ($99.00 – $139.00 from PBTeen)
7. For your social butterfly camper
Custom photo playing cards ($19.99 from Shutterfly)
8. For your camper who takes full advantage of rest hour
S’more Pillow Warmer ($39.99 from Smoko)
9. For your youngest camper
Felt Campfire Set ($85.00 on Etsy)
For your camper going off to college
A Camp T-Shirt Quilt (starting at $59.99 from Project Repat)
Pronounced: KHAH-nuh-kah, also ha-new-KAH, an eight-day festival commemorating the Maccabees’ victory over the Greeks and subsequent rededication of the temple. Falls in the Hebrew month of Kislev, which usually corresponds with December.