- Yield: at least 12
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 12 hours, 0 minutes
- Total: 12 hours, 30 minutes
Cholent is a Shabbat tradition that usually contains meat, potatoes, and barley. Here's a vegetarian version. The beauty of most cholent recipes is that you put everything in the crock pot before Shabbat, and then simply stir it before serving it for lunch the next day.
- 6 cups water
- 1 package matzah ball mix, prepared per package directions
- 3 Tablespoons vegetarian beef boullion or Onion soup mix
- 1 Tablespoon smoky paprika
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 potato, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup wheatberries
- 1 cup beans (mixed)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 beet, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Put all ingredients except matzo balls in slow cooker.
Cover with water. Drop the matzo balls on top. Turn on high for at least an hour before Shabbat and then bring to low. Allow to cook overnight and serve for lunch.
Did you like this article? MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.