- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup grated semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 3 qts (12 cups) water
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 Tablespoons bottled hot sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups black beans (2 large cans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, stems cut off
- 1 bunch flat parsley, stems and all
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 4 ribs celery, peeled and cut in thirds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
Heat the oil in a heavy pot.
Make the sofrito: In a food processor, coarsely grind the onion, garlic, celery, pepper, parsley and cilantro. Add ground mixture to the hot oil, and sautee until translucent. Add the beans, tomato paste, wine, hot sauce, bay leaves and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook 30 minutes. Add the chocolate, cumin and oregano and cook for 15 minutes more. Adjust texture and seasonings. Serve hot.
Did you like this article? MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.