For Valentine’s Day, we’re sharing the story of Beck and Shana, who’ve been together for five years.
What’s the first thing that came into your mind when you met each other?
Shana: The night we met, I was spinning records at a house party in Northeast Minneapolis. Beck and his friend decided to stop by on their way to another party, and I instantly noticed Beck when he walked in. Beck is totally my type: the androgynous/edgy-but-not-too-edgy-with-tattoos type. After I put on the next song, I walked over and introduced myself. Beck asked me if I was the DJ. I said “Yes,”and he replied, “That’s cool. I’m also a DJ.” From that moment on, I felt that the universe had lined us up for a reason, and we have been together ever since. Beck proposed to me a year-and-a-half later, and we got married on June 1, 2014.
Beck: The first thing that came to mind when I saw Shana was “I need to meet that person.” I could tell she was magnetic, powerful, had a great smile, and was obviously gorgeous.
Three reasons you love each other:
- Her fierce loyalty to her friends and family. There isn’t a thing she wouldn’t do for any of them. It’s almost annoying (hahaha).
- She has the best laugh and smile. It literally can change the energy of a whole room. She laughs at the silliest things, especially her own jokes. Which, in turn, cracks me up… even if it was a really really bad joke.
- Shana is a super talented artist, painter, singer, and musician. She dabbles in it all. And when she really gets inspired, she makes some beautiful pieces. I wish that we had endless amounts of money so that she could just paint, because the world deserves to see her art.
- I love Beck for the attention, care, and unconditional love he gives me.
- I love Beck because he is invested in making people’s lives better.
- I love Beck because of his SWAG and his ability to coordinate a stellar outfit!
What makes you two compatible?
Beck: What makes us compatible is our shared love of shopping, food, dessert, and friends. What makes us compatible also are our differences. We sometimes have differing opinions, but there is mutual respect even when we don’t see eye to eye.