Jut as important as soup season and sweater weather, winter is Chex Mix season for me, where there’s always a batch of puppy chow on hand for my family’s (massive) snacking needs. Traditionally, puppy chow (which is also known as “muddy buddies”) is made with peanut butter, but I love swapping in tahini instead.
This puppy chow is simple to make while the flavors are a satisfying balance of sweet from the sugar and slightly bitter earthiness from the tahini. If your family is anything like mine (ravenous for snacks between the hours of 2:00 and 7:00 pm), make a double batch!
Love this snack? Try our Passover-friendly version too!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Flaky salt, to taste
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (you can use either chocolate chips or chopped pieces)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups corn Chex cereal
- Combine powdered sugar, sesame seeds and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place chocolate, tahini and butter in a double boiler over simmering water (or heat in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between each, until melted). Stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Remove the bowl from the double boiler, and add the Chex cereal. Fold with a rubber spatula to coat the cereal with the melted chocolate-tahini. Pour cereal mixture into the bowl of powdered sugar, and toss to coat.
- Spread the cereal evenly over a baking sheet and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.