Iraqi haroset is so simple that it is barely a recipe at all. The only ingredients are date molasses and nuts. Date molasses is a staple of Iraqi cuisine, and is also known as date honey, date syrup or silan. It is available at Middle Eastern and kosher supermarkets, as well as online.
- ½ cup date molasses (silan)
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (or a combination of walnut and peanut) preferably toasted
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Combine the date molasses, nuts and cardamom in a small bowl.
- Keep at room temperature.