Finals can be a tough and stressful time, but with a bit of help, you can get through them more easily. Here are a few tips to prepare, support yourself mentally, or pass a difficult class.
Stuff You Can Do to Prepare
- Create a to-do list, sometimes getting started with studying is the hardest part (creating a to-do list helps your brain break it up into steps)
- Make notecards with the important information so you can quiz yourself
- Color code your notes. Who doesn’t love color coding?!?
- Create an outline for any essays you have to write
- Review your notes (and your friends’ notes)
- Go over whatever the teacher provides (they know what they want you to learn and they know what they are putting on the test)
- Tackle the topics you don’t understand first
Stuff You Can do to Maintain Your Mental Health
- Schedule breaks (take a few minutes to focus on something else – even if it’s just another topic or class)
- Set goals and rewards for yourself (you deserve it!)
- Snacks (especially protein and water)
- Move your body (take a walk, do some jumping jacks)
- Get outside (a breath of fresh air does wonders for your brain)
- Sleep the amount that works for you
- Keep the stakes in perspective (one test does not define your life)
Stuff You Can Do If You’re Struggling in a Class
- Talk to your teacher (they are usually happy to help if you reach out to them and are impressed that you took initiative to ask for help)
- Ask for help with study tools from your teacher or other students in the class
- Look into tutoring
- Create an online study guide with your friends (Khan Academy, Quizlet, Crash Course)
- Talk to someone (parent, friend, pet, etc.) about what you’re feeling
- Consider trying therapy if anxiety is getting the best of you
Remember that grades don’t define you. If you get a grade you don’t like, you can always talk to a teacher about extra credit and tools to use to improve in the future. There is always a cushion and support if you need it!
You’ve got this and HereNow is here with additional mental health tools should you need it!