Changes are afoot at MJL, Inc. as we begin the exciting search for a new Chief Executive Officer. We are looking for an innovative and passionate visionary to lead the MJL team while developing new products and deepening the impact on current and future readers (like you!).
The ideal candidate will have a broad knowledge of the Jewish world, significant fundraising experience, and a passion for using technology and new media to engage Jews and non-Jews in Jewish learning and conversation. The job description is below, and all applications should be submitted by September 4th. Please share this post with anyone who may be interested.
Chief Executive Officer of My Jewish Learning, Inc.
MyJewishLearning, Inc. (MJL), the premier Jewish media organization, is seeking an innovative, dynamic, and passionate Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who will guide MJL’s continued growth as the leading online presence in pluralistic Jewish education and engagement.
The MJL CEO position presents a unique opportunity for a visionary leader to broaden the horizon of what is possible for the Jewish experience online. Singular in its commitment to enhancing Jewish knowledge and engagement from a trans-denominational perspective, MJL is a remarkable Jewish pluralistic initiative seeking an equally remarkable leader. We seek a creative thinker seasoned by real world experience in organizational leadership and implementation of new media strategies. Through the development of compelling content and creation of online community, the MJL CEO will stand at the nexus of Jewish life and technology. With a commitment to empower MJL users from every background to learn and engage with Jewish culture and tradition, the MJL CEO will run a fiscally viable not-for-profit media company while managing a dynamic staff committed to broadening the horizons of the Jewish virtual world.
Who We Are
MyJewishLearning, Inc. (“MJL”) is the leading non-denominational Jewish media organization. Through its various web products—MyJewishLearning.com, Kveller.com, TheJewniverse.com—MJL educates and engages more than 700,000 people a month. MJL has been included in the last four editions of Slingshot: A Resource Guide to Jewish Innovation, an annual compilation of the 50 most inspiring and innovation organizations in the North American Jewish Community, and has won multiple American Jewish Press Association Awards for “Most Outstanding” Jewish website.
MJL currently has three signature projects:
MyJewishLearning.com focuses on Jewish education and knowledge–everything from guidelines on religious customs, etiquette, and ritual to learning about obscure Jewish philosophers. MyJewishLearning.com also features weekly Torah portion commentaries, quizzes, recipes, and several dynamic blogs, including partner blogs produced with Keshet, The Institute of Southern Jewish Life, Rabbis Without Borders, The Foundation for Jewish Camp, and The Jewish Book Council.
Kveller.com features parenting resources on everything from pre-conception through preschool–information on Jewish genetic diseases, circumcision, Jewish kiddie music, and much more. Kveller also has a Jewish baby name bank, multiple bloggers (including actress Mayim Bialik), and a robust online community that facilitates profound conversations, connecting Jewish parents living all over the United States.
TheJewniverse.com is a spin-off of MyJewishLearning’s popular daily email, keeping subscribers up to the minute with news and information of interest across the Jewish world. Additionally, MJL owns Shamash.org, one of the first Jewish websites, which publishes several highly trafficked webpages, including a popular kosher restaurant database.
Across all these platforms, the CEO is responsible for conceiving strategies to deepen MJL’s impact on its large and diverse audience, while also developing new products and expanding its constituency.
What We Are Seeking
As the leader of a uniquely positioned not-for-profit organization, the MJL CEO is an important communal thought leader on the intersection of Jewish life, media and technology and an advocate for the masses of Jews who engage with Jewish content and community online. The MJL team is made up of talented, energetic individuals working collaboratively in content, technology, design, marketing, and finance roles, and the CEO will lead and inspire them, while increasing the scope of MJL products and readership.
The talents and experience we seek include:
- Demonstrated success in growing an organization, employing effective management, creativity,
- A deep knowledge of the American Jewish landscape.
- Excellent verbal, written, and technological communication skills.
- A passion for using technology and new media to engage Jews and non-Jews in Jewish learning and conversation.
- Ability to lead and inspire a team and grow and engage a board.
- Demonstrated ability to raise and attract financial resources.
Leadership and Visioning
- Provide leadership, vision, and policy guidance for MJL.
- Serve as a public spokesperson for and grow MJL’s national profile to become a visible resource/expert to the Jewish community on Jewish learning and engagement in the age of the internet.
- Establish editorial priorities and direction for MJL’s growing base of media platforms.
- Partner and collaborate with other Jewish organizations, and pursue content and distribution partnerships with other Jewish organizations and media outlets.
- Increase MJL’s readership and audience.
- Advance the MJL brand and presence in the general online world.
- Engage and strengthen a committed board of directors.
- Strengthen existing donor relationships and cultivate new major donors.
- Expand financial resources for the organization and create strategies for monetizing web traffic.
- Explore and implement innovative approaches for increased diversification of income streams.
- Build and grow a highly functioning organization.
- Engage and empower a team of talented staff members and recruit and develop talent for the organization.
- Ensure the fiscal soundness of the organization and spearhead its development, marketing, public relations, and programmatic expansion.
MJL is based in New York City and the CEO position requires significant travel. There are currently eight full-time employees and one part-time employee, and a network of freelance writers and editors.
How to Apply
Please forward your resume and cover letter to MJLCEOPosition@gmail.com, describing what interests you about this opportunity and why you feel particularly suited for this position. Indicate your name and “CEO” in the subject line. Applications should be submitted by September 4th.
Pronounced: KOH-sher, Origin: Hebrew, adhering to kashrut, the traditional Jewish dietary laws.
Pronunced: TORE-uh, Origin: Hebrew, the Five Books of Moses.