This blog post is brought to you by our local sponsor, Leaven. Now enjoyed by Jews and non-Jews alike.
I’m not usually one to post older material but when my friend sent this to me, I couldn’t help but give it a shout out. On the website 11points.com, blogger Sam Greenspan makes “Top 11″ lists concerning some obscure and random categories. Why 11? To quote him, because “10-item lists are for cowards.”
Last August (once again, sorry, but better late than never) Greenspoon made a list of the “11 Best Jewish Movie Characters Played By Non-Jewish Actors.” #11 is a bit of a stretch, but whatever. He does a good job of describing each role on his site but if you want a quick breakdown, here it is:
1) Brendan Fraser- School Ties (David Greene)
2) Eric Bana- Munich (Avner)
3) Robert De Niro- Casino (Sam “Ace” Rothstein)
4) John Goodman- The Big Lebowski (Walter Sobchak)
5) Angelina Jolie- Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Jane Smith)
6) Gene Hackman- The Royal Tenenbaums (Royal Tenenbaum)
7) Ian McKellan- X-Men (Magneto)
8) Robin Williams- The Birdcage (Armand Goldman)
9) Lorraine Bracco- Goodfellas (Karen Hill)
10)Â Felicity Huffman- Transamerica (Bree)
11) Jim Caviezel- Passion of the Christ (Jesus)
Now, here is a clip of School Ties in Spanish. Why? The real question is, why not? The best part is that the guy who dubbed Fraser sounds 40 years old, while playing a high school student.