Who wants a delicious buttery-tasting scone that is vegan, takes under 10 minutes to prepare and is loaded with nutrition? I’ll take a dozen, thanks.
If you haven’t yet already, it’s time to familiarize yourself with tahini. It is made from milled sesame seeds, loaded with vitamins, high in protein, nut-free, and has a smooth and delicious flavor to boot. Did you know that one ounce of tahini has three times the protein of the same amount of beef? Time to eat some sesame!
I recently moved to Israel, where tahini is as common as peanut butter in local grocery stores. It is inexpensive here, so I am able to try baking with this wholesome ingredient. I began by replacing oil with the tahini in baked goods and happily found it undetectable in most recipes. Replacing refined sugar is next, but I’ll save that for another post!
Once I tried the recipe, I wanted to swap some ingredients out to make them vegan. I prefer baking without eggs and dairy because of my 2-year-old sous chef and daughter, Ora. Vegan baking means that I can let her lick the batter, guilt-free!
This recipe is saturated fat-free, refined sugar-free and vegan.
Note: This recipe is adapted from Seed & Mill.
- 1 cup white flour (preferred high gluten like King Arthur brand and sifted)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (preferred high gluten like King Arthur brand and sifted)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp pure 100% maple syrup
- ¼ cup applesauce (substitute one egg if not vegan)
- ½ cup tahini paste (straight from jar, do NOT mix with water)
- ¾ cup coconut cream/milk (no additives)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp of coconut cream/milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- First, make the brushed topping by mixing the coconut cream and maple syrup.
- Next, make the scone. Mix all of the dough ingredients together just until dough is formed, add chocolate chips and cranberries last. Be careful not to over-mix, or scones will be dry. Use a large cookie scoop (equivalent to 3 Tbsp) so all of the scones stay uniform in size.
- Brush the topping on each scone before baking. Sprinkle mixture of black and white sesame seeds to garnish.
- Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy slathered with butter and jam.