The whole family will love this healthy whole wheat apple bread for Rosh Hashanah. One slice is great for a quick breakfast on the go or as a delicious lunchbox treat for your kids. The bread is free of refined sugar and dairy, and is made with almond milk, coconut oil and coconut sugar.
The whole wheat flour and rolled oats pack a good dose of fiber and provide some extra staying power before your next meal.
Note: To make oat flour, grind old-fashioned rolled oats in a food processor until they resemble fine sand.
- 2 cups whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour*
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cups coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar (can also substitute light brown sugar)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 1 ¾ cups)
For the pecan-streusel topping:
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 4 Tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar**
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a bread loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, oat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut sugar and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until mostly combined. Fold in the chopped apples. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and set aside.
- To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl combine the chopped pecans, oats, whole wheat flour, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Add the coconut oil and use your fingers to create a “crumble.” Sprinkle the streusel evenly on top of the bread and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, remove the loaf from the pan very carefully and slice into 12 slices (or as desired).