The sunny yellow split peas are intensified by the addition of turmeric, and flavored with garlic, ginger, and onion for a comforting dish that’s far greater than the sum of its parts.
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 2 white onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 jalapeño, for serving
- Soak the split peas for 1 hour in warm water.
- Puree the onions, garlic, and ginger in food processor.
- In large pan, sauté the pureed onion, garlic, and ginger in oil and cook until softened, about 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse the soaked split peas and add to the pan, along with 2 cups water and salt. Bring to a boil (continuing to stir), then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer the peas, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes (adding more water if needed) or until the peas are soft.
- Check the seasoning, adding salt to taste.
- Cut jalapeño into 4 pieces lengthwise and mix in the stew.
- Serve with injera (a spongy, slightly sour, pancake-like bread) or rice.