I love Trader Joe’s and I love cooking hacks that are crowd-pleasers. So I was excited to hear about a trick using Trader Joe’s Falafel Mix to make a quick and flavorful chicken schnitzel.
Use half unseasoned panko bread crumbs and half falafel mix so that it isn’t too salty, and the flavor isn’t overpowering. These freeze well and can be made ahead of time. Try serving these with some amba (pickled mango sauce) or a tahini sauce like one of these.
Watch our video below and get cooking.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (preferably sliced thin)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Falafel Mix
- vegetable oil for frying
- additional salt (if desired)
- Combine bread crumbs and falafel mix in a shallow dish. Combine eggs, mustard and water in another shallow dish.
- Dredge each chicken cutlet in the egg mixture and then bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. You should coat the pan so that there is about 1/2 inch of oil for frying.
- Fry each chicken cutlets into golden brown, around 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on a wire rack. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt if desired.