This simple yet flavorful salad is our dad’s Friday night staple. During the summer, he picks the tomatoes and cucumbers from his garden and adds a generous amount of jalapeño peppers. If you don’t like a lot of heat, feel free to use a smaller amount of peppers. Be aware, however, that not all jalapeños have the same heat level! Some are a lot hotter than others. Make sure to thoroughly wash your hands after cutting them, and remember never to touch your eyes (we’ve learned that lesson the hard way…).
It’s better to enjoy this salad the same day it’s prepared. Once it sits for too long, the tomatoes might become a little too soggy.
Excerpted from Tahini & Turmeric: 101 Middle Eastern Classics—Made Irresistibly Vegan by Vicky Cohen and Ruth Fox. Copyright ©2018. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
- 1 pound assorted colored tomatoes, diced small
- 5 to 6 Persian cucumbers, diced small
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, diced small
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed
- lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.