I’m gluten-free so quinoa is part of my everyday life, but I think most gluten eaters appreciate quinoa the most on Passover, when more mainstream grains like wheat, barley, and rice are off-limits. This quinoa salad is very versatile in that you can use pretty much whatever vegetables you like depending what is in season. Here I do a roasted veggie medley of sweet potatoes, onions, zucchini, and bell peppers, but asparagus, tomato and scallion would be just as delicious.
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease two baking sheets.
- Spread sweet potatoes and onions on one baking sheet and zucchini and bell peppers on another.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over each baking sheet.
- Roast zucchini and peppers for 10 minutes, sweet potatoes and onions for 25 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
- In the meantime, place quinoa, water, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and rest for 10 minute before fluffing with a fork.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add quinoa to vegetables and drizzle dressing over top, mixing to combine.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.