Our pumpkin kibbeh has a luscious mushroom and lentil filling, which is a vegan twist on the traditional Middle Eastern meat filled bulgur wheat pie. Add pumpkin to the dough to make this kibbeh super moist, flavorful and totally Thanksgiving-worthy. After all, Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be all about the turkey.
For the kibbeh dough:
- 1 ½ cups bulgur wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baharat (you can replace baharat for allspice)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (24 oz) pack baby bella mushrooms, chopped very fine (we recommend using a food processor)
- 1 medium onion, chopped very fine (we recommend using a food processor)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baharat (you can replace baharat for allspice)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup black beluga lentils, thoroughly rinsed (you can also use brown or French lentils)
For assembling the kibbeh:
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- pine nuts, for garnish
- To make the kibbeh dough: In a large bowl, combine bulgur wheat and boiling water. Cover it with a plate and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Add salt, baharat, cinnamon and pumpkin and mix well.
- Add flour and mix well to form a dough (the dough will be wet).
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk olive oil and tomato paste until well incorporated. Transfer to a large skillet and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until it becomes dark red, stirring often (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn).
- Add onions and mushrooms to the skillet and mix until well coated. Add salt, baharat and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are fairly dry.
- In the meantime, cook lentils in a small pot with 4 cups of water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to boil and cook over medium for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked, but have a slight bite to them. (Please note that the cooking time for the lentils will depend on the type of lentils used. We recommend checking after 20 minutes.)
- Combine lentils and mushroom mixture in a bowl. Mix well and set aside to cool
- To assemble the kibbeh: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp vegetable oil at the bottom of a 11x7x3 rectangular baking dish and spread evenly using your fingers.
- Press a little less that half the kibbeh dough on the bottom of the baking dish. Prick the kibbeh all over with a fork, Spread the filling evenly on top.
- Divide the remaining dough into 10-12 balls. Gently flatten each one with your hands and place them on top of the filling, until it’s completely covered.
- Score the top dough to make a diamond pattern and garnish each diamond with a pine nut. Drizzle the remaining 2 Tbsp vegetable oil on top and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Sephardic