Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to celebrate your dear mother. And what better way to show some love on Mother’s Day than with a scrumptious, gluten-free, almost guilt-free chocolate cake?
This super decadent chocolate cake is not only pretty, but it’s also doubly delicious, thanks to its two layers. The raw base is a mix of roasted hazelnuts and almonds mixed with dark chocolate. This combination makes the crust taste like a healthy homemade version of Nutella. The top layer is a larger version of a gluten-free molten lava cake, and it will blow your mind if you are a chocolate lover. The recipe uses dark pareve chocolate to allow this cake to be dairy-free, but you can also use milk chocolate if that’s your preference.
After baking the cake, you will need to handle it very carefully — the middle may still be jiggly. Use the parchment paper to help guide the cake on top of the prepared crust. Once placed on top of the crust, decorate the cake with berries and serve with vanilla or coconut ice cream. This cake is not only perfect for your mom’s special day, but it’s also kosher for Passover and mouthwatering all year-long.
For the crust:
- 200g (7oz) of dark chocolate (between 55% and 80% depending of your taste)
- 1 ½ cup of roasted hazelnuts
- 1 ½ cup of roasted almonds
For the cake
- 5 eggs
- 250g (9 oz) of dark chocolate (between 55% and 80% depending of your taste)
- 1/2 cup of nut oil
- 1 cup of almond flour
- halved strawberries and whole berries to garnish, optional
For the crust
- Melt chocolate in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water (a double boiler), stirring constantly.
- Process nuts in a food processor on high speed for 2 minutes, or until small crumbs form.
- Add melted chocolate.
- Process for 1 more minute until well combined.
- Pour into the base of a 9″ spring form pan lined with parchment paper to prevent the base from sticking.
- Reserve in freezer for 3 hours.
For the cake
- Melt chocolate and oil together in a glass bowl, set inside of a shallow pot of boiling water (a double boiler). Set aside and let cool.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl until foamy, around 2 minutes.
- Add almond flour to the egg mixture.
- Add cooled chocolate to the mixture and stir together until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9″ spring form pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 430 degrees F for 9 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely and let chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- When cake is cooled, open the mold carefully. Transfer cake using parchment paper.
- Place the crust on a cake stand, and carefully place the cake on top of the crust.
- Decorate the top of the cake with fresh fruit to hide any crumbled, broken parts.
- Enjoy at room temperature.