What’s better than waiting in line for an expensive brunch on the weekend? Making your own at home while in your PJs. And these Sunday pancakes are my very favorite, always perfect fluffy pancakes I make for my family all the time.
Here are some pancake variations to keep your Sundays morning interesting as well as my favorite, healthful pancake recipe that uses – that’s right – Greek yogurt and part whole wheat flour to make super fluffy pancakes that add a little extra protein and whole grain.
Fun Pancake Add-Ins
- Fresh raspberries + mini chocolate chips
- sliced, fresh banana + peanut butter chips
- shredded coconut + splash of orange or pineapple juice
- mixed fresh berries
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup greek yogurt or ricotta cheese
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (you may want to add more milk depending on how thick or thin you like you like your pancakes)
- 2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder flax seed (if using), and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix together milk, egg, greek yogurt or ricotta, and butter.
- Add dry mix to wet mix until thoroughly incorporated, but don’t over mix. If at this point the batter looks too thick, add another Tablespoon or two of milk.
- In a large skillet, heat oil or butter on medium heat. Spoon medium sized pancakes into pan. If adding berries, chocolate or other add-ins, this is the point when you should put them on pancakes.
- When pancakes just start to bubble flip over. Cook for 1-2 more minutes on second side and remove from pan. Repeat using all pancake batter.
- Serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup or agave syrup.