This smoked salmon toast is a grown-up version of what I used to have back in the day, If you don’t like rye or pumpernickel bread, you could use Ezekiel sprouted grain bread instead.
From the book DO WHAT FEELS GOOD: Recipes, Remedies and Routines to Treat Your Body Right. Copyright © by Hannah Bronfman. Published on January 8, 2019 by Harper Wave, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission.
- 1 ripe avocado
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 slices rye or pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 Tbsp minced red onion
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with the lemon zest and juice, cumin and salt.
- Spread the avocado mixture on the toast and top with the capers, red onion and arugula.
- Top with the smoked salmon, and serve. Note: you can also put the capers, onion and arugula on top of the salmon but layering them between the salmon and avocado makes this dish easier to eat.