This dish is almost as good before you cook it as it is after. But when halloumi and tomatoes get a blast of high heat in the oven, everything transforms for the better: the cheese becomes crisp and the tomatoes turn soft and sweet, while the olive oil and oregano contribute herbaceous notes. Add some sesame-crusted bread for dipping and you have heaven in an appetizer.
From the book LEMON, LOVE & OLIVE OIL by Mina Stone. Copyright © 2021 by Asimina Stone. Published by Harper Wave, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission.
- 1 pint (300 g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce/250 g) block halloumi, cut into 8 pieces
- fresh oregano leaves from 2 or 3 sprigs
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh bread, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place the tomatoes in a small or medium cast-iron skillet. Tuck the pieces of halloumi and oregano leaves in and around the tomatoes so they all fit together snugly. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven until the cheese is golden brown on top, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread for dipping.