I have always loved kreplach but was too intimidated to try and make them from scratch on my own. Lucky for me (and you) one of our writers, cookbook author Ronnie Fein, has a kreplach expertise and was kind enough to show us, along with our fellow blogger Liz Rueven, how to do it on video.
Watch below for her tips and tricks, or see the full recipe below. You can also try this recipe from Joan Nathan.
Ronnie Fein’s Meat Kreplach Recipe
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp cold water, approximately
For the meat filling:
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cups chopped, cooked beef (about 12 ounces – can be either ground beef or finely chopped leftover brisket or roast)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the dough: Place the flour, salt and beaten eggs in a food processor. Process while gradually adding just enough water to have the dough form into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for at least one hour.
- To make the filling: Heat the vegetable oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Place the chopped meat in a bowl. Add the softened onion (and garlic), egg, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll the dough, a portion at a time, on a floured surface until the dough is very thin (less than 1/8-inch). Cut dough into 2-1/2 to 3-inch squares.
- Place one heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each square. Fold the dough over the filling to make a triangle. Pinch the dough together to seal the edges (if necessary wet two sides of the square).
- Bring a large soup pot of water to a boil. Cook the kreplach about a dozen at a time for about 15 minutes, or until they are tender.
- To serve, place the cooked kreplach in chicken soup and cook for 4-5 minutes. You may also fry the kreplach in vegetable oil.