Fenugreek-heavy hilbeh is often served as a side accompaniment to Yemenites soups and breads. A tablespoon or two of hilbeh is usually added to soups or can be used as a dip for bread.
Watch Doreet make this recipe below:
- 3 Tbsp fenugreek powder
- 1/8 cup lemon juice, or a squeeze of a lemon, to taste
- 1 Tbsp zhug
- 1/2 cup cold water
- salt, to taste
If zhug is not available you can use the following:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- small bunch cilantro
- Add 3 Tbsp fenugreek powder into a bowl and pour tap water into the bowl until well covered and cover the bowl with lid or plastic wrap. The more water used, the less bitter the final dip will be. Let soak for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Pour out the water and the result will be a dense fenugreek gel. Mix with spoon until fairly smooth. Place in a blender.
- Add water, zhug, lemon juice, and salt and blend on high for about 60 seconds until very smooth.
- Optional: If you don’t have zhug, chop tomatoes and garlic into small pieces and place in blender. Add remaining ingredients and process on high for 3 minutes or until very smooth.Taste for additional seasoning or add water if needed.