This is a comforting, one-pot chicken soup using seasonal spring greens and fennel bulbs. Light, zesty, and full of flavor; perfect for a summer’s evening or a light lunch.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Rebecca Cooks.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 100 g spring greens, leaves sliced finely
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed, sliced finely, fronds saved for garnish
- 1 large chicken breast
- 900 ml high-quality chicken stock
- 100 g orzo pasta
- 50 g pesto
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat a large pan and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add the chicken breast and fry on each side for 3 minutes or until golden and beginning to crisp at edges.
- To the pan, add the orzo and chicken stock, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped fennel and spring greens to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pan and pull the meat apart using two forks.
- Add the pulled chicken and lemon juice to the pan and stir until everything is incorporated. Check for seasoning, adding flaked sea salt and crushed black pepper as required.
- Serve soup topped with a dollop of pesto, fennel fronds, chopped parsley and a sprinkle of lemon zest.