I make this delicious apple crumb cake throughout the whole Minnesota apple season; it’s one of my favorite autumnal treats. Chock-full of apples, it’s super moist, fruit-forward and really easy to make. I’ll put streusel on anything — I’m obsessed — but it tastes especially great on this cake. And don’t worry if you have leftovers, this cake is equally good with coffee for breakfast.
For the apples:
- 2 pounds SweeTango apples, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced (can also use other types of apples)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed toasted almonds or pecans
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 4 Tbsp butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten slightly
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- First, caramelize the apples: Peel, core and slice 2 pounds of apples.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium heat. When foaming and hot, add the apples, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons sugar and the lemon juice. Sauté until caramelized lightly, about 15 minutes.
- Spill contents of pan out on to a large plate and cool to room temperature.
- Next, make the streusel topping: Dice one stick, or 1/2 cup, butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter cubes and toasted nuts. Mix well using your finger tips until course crumbs form. Reserve.
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch brownie pan. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice. Reserve. Using a handheld or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, adding the egg when combined well. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk in thirds, alternating as you go. Fold in the apples.
- Place batter in the prepared pan, cover evenly with streusel topping and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick withdraws cleanly from the cake.
- Cool and serve.