Why are there always one or two sad bananas that get a little brown and sit forlornly in your fruit basket at the end of the week? Sometimes I love turning those mushy specimen into the perfect banana zucchini bread or banana pumpkin bread. But summertime is a bit too warm to be baking all the time.
Instead, chop your bananas into pieces and turn them into a healthy frozen treat. Then add some good tahini and chocolate chips —and get ready to nosh. It’s healthy, non-dairy AND gluten-free. Vegan? Just substitute maple syrup or agave for the honey. Here’s a short video making our healthy banana tahini ice cream— full recipe is below!
Wondering, wait – What is tahini? Read this!
- 3 bananas, cut into 2 inch pieces and frozen for at least 2 hours or up to 2 weeks
- 2-3 Tbsp tahini
- 1-2 tsp honey, maple syrup or agave
- 2 Tbsp chocolate chips, carrob chips, peanut butter chips or other mix-ins
- Place frozen bananas and tahini in food processor fitted with blade attached. Pulse for a few minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Add honey to taste and pulse a few more times.
- Add chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, peanut butter chips or carob chips if desired and stir with spatula.
- Serve immediately for best results.