Maybe healthy eating has been a struggle between you and your kids this year, or maybe they are happy to chow down on roasted broccoli, whole wheat pasta and grilled chicken. Either way, once the kids head off to camp you will no longer be able to guide them towards making healthy choices at meal and snack times. Camp is a time for kids to enjoy and let loose a little, but it’s also a time for them to assume some responsibility and assert some of that beautiful independence that is fighting to be set free. So, with that in mind, think about sharing these tips for healthy eating at camp with your camper (perhaps while you munch on the fabulous granola bar recipe below).
- When able, choose fruits, low fat milk, and whole grain cereals at breakfast. Try to avoid juice and sugary cereals.
- If there is a salad bar, have a green salad with lots of vegetables at lunch and dinner.
- If you get canteen on a daily basis or if you have snack food in your cabin, try to limit yourself to 1 item of junk food a day and try to avoid sugary drinks like soda, juices, sports drinks and iced teas.
- Try to be aware of how much you are eating and stop when you are full. If you rate how full you are on a scale of 1-5, and 1 is still hungry and 5 is OVER full, you should stop at a 3.
- If chicken has skin on in, remove before eating.
- Try to have fruit as a dessert or snack when and if you can.
- Try to have some protein with every meal. Foods high in protein are: Greek yogurt, eggs, tofu, beans, meat, chicken and fish.
- When possible, choose whole wheat bread over white bread.
- Only drink water at meals.
- Eating isn’t a race! Remember to eat slowly so you can appreciate and digest your food.
Sweet n’ Nutty Granola Bars
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped pistachios
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8-by-11-inch pan with parchment paper. Whisk egg, egg white, sugar, oil, cinnamon, ginger salt and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in oats, pistachios, apricots and flour. Spread in prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool; cut into 15 bars with a lightly oiled knife.